- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large unpeeled apple, diced
- 1 cup white raisins or dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 4 thin lemon slices, seeds removed and cut into quarters
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Georgia pecans
Wash cranberries and place in a 3-quart saucepan with water, spices and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer briskly, uncovered, until cranberries pop. Remove from heat and stir in apple, raisins, lemon slices, sugar, celery and onion. Place pan back over medium heat and stir well. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook 15 minutes longer. Remove cinnamon sticks and stir in pecans. Let cool slightly, then transfer into clean jars, cover with lids and refrigerate.
Packaging tip: Place chutney in a pretty glass jar, possibly a large Weck jar available at such stores as Williams-Sonoma. Tie a pretty cranberry-colored organdy ribbon around the neck and attach a card with the recipe name.