- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1.23-oz.) granola bars
- 2/3 cup Georgia pecan halves
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups chopped mixed fresh fruits – Recommend kiwi, strawberries and blueberries
- Ground cinnamon
- *Add ground cinnamon to yogurt topping to taste (optional)
In medium-size pot, heat water to boiling. Add barley and salt, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spread barley on baking sheet to cool completely.
Meanwhile, cut granola bars into small crouton-like cubes; set aside. Toast pecan halves in skillet or oven until toasted, crisped, and fragrant; set aside. Combine yogurt and maple syrup, mixing until blended; set aside.
When barley has cooled, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the granola pieces, pecan halves, and fruit mixture, tossing gently. To serve, spoon salad onto individual plates. Serve with yogurt dressing and a shaker of ground cinnamon to sprinkle as desired.
Nutrition information per serving (using 1/2 cup each strawberries, kiwi, and blueberries) – calories: 251; protein: 4g; carbs: 37g; saturated fat: 1g; monounsaturated: 5g; polyunsaturated fat: 3g; cholesterol: 1 mg; fiber: 5g; sodium: 224 mg