- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup toasted Georgia pecan halves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup prepared blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 8 large slices fresh tomato, preferably yellow and red
- Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Georgia pecan halves for garnish (optional)
Cut chicken into 2-inch chunks. Heat water to boiling. Add salt. Stir chicken into boiling water, immediately reduce to just below a simmer and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let chicken stand in cooking water 5 minutes. Drain and rinse chicken under cold water to stop the cooking process. Pat dry.
By hand, shred chicken into bite-size pieces and place in mixing bowl. Add the pecans, celery, onion, carrot, blue cheese dressing, and vinegar. Mix until well combined.
To serve, mound a scant 1/2 cup chicken salad in center of each serving plate and spread slightly to flatten to a round the same width as tomato. Top with a slice of red tomato. Mound another scant 1/2 cup salad mixture on top and arrange a yellow tomato slice on top. Garnish, if desired, with parsley sprig and pecan; serve.
Nutrition information per serving – calories: 411; protein: 33g; carbs: 8g; saturated fat: 5g; monounsaturated: 13g; polyunsaturated fat: 6g; cholesterol: 91 mg; fiber: 2g; sodium: 748 mg