- Dry Mix (makes about 4-1/2 cups):
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 1/2 cup maple sugar (or 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Wet Ingredients (for 3/4 cup of mix):
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Maple syrup (to serve)
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a re-sealable 1 1/2-quart container; mix very well to blend evenly. If not using within a week, refrigerate dry mixture.
- To make eight 3-inch pancakes, heat an oiled skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Beat together the milk, egg, lemon juice, and vegetable oil until blended. Stir in 3/4 cup pancake, mixing just until smooth batter forms. When skillet is hot (a sprinkle of water will dance and steam on the surface), pour a scant 1/4 cup batter in pan for each pancake, cooking 2-3 minutes on either side. Serve pancakes warm with maple syrup.
Nutrition information per 3-inch pancake (without maple syrup): protein: 3g; carbohydrates: 9 g; saturated fat: .5g; monounsaturated fat: 3g; polyunsaturated fat: 1g; cholesterol 27mg; sodium: 36mg; fiber: 1g; calories: 94.