- 8- to 9-oz. buckwheat Asian noodles (soba) or Italian-style fettuccini
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine, found at Asian groceries and some supermarkets)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Georgia pecans
- 2 cups sliced red onion
- 2-1/2 cups julienne-sliced yellow squash (about 3 small)
- 2-1/2 cups julienne-sliced zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or lemon basil
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; stir and cook for 4-5 minutes or until done. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside in large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
Heat sesame oil and vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saut? shrimp for 3-4 minutes or until bight pink and cooked through. Add shrimp to noodles.
Add ginger, garlic and pecans to pan and saut? over medium-high heat for 15 seconds and add to shrimp and noodle mixture. Add onion to pan and cook 1 minute; add to shrimp and noodles. Add yellow squash and zucchini to pan and stir fry until crisp and tender, about 2 minutes. Add squash to shrimp and noodle mixture in bowl and stir to combine well.
Drizzle soy sauce mixture over noodles and vegetables. Add minced parsley or lemon basil and serve at once. Or, chill and serve as a cold noodle salad.
Per serving: 312 calories, 9 g fat ( 1 g saturated), 86 mg cholesterol, 41 g carbohydrate, 780 mg sodium.