- 8-oz. orzo (rice-shaped pasta) or macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans (canned is fine), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin slivers
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped (or 1 cup prepared salsa)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup toasted pecan halves or chopped Georgia pecans
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add orzo and salt, stir and cook for about 5 minutes, or until orzo or macaroni test done. Drain, toss with teaspoon olive oil and set aside.
While pasta is cooking, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, cumin and black pepper. Stir in black beans, corn, orzo, red bell pepper strips, tomato, green onions, cilantro and parsley. Stir in toasted pecans.
Taste salad and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature or chill 30 minutes prior to serving. Serve on lettuce leaves.
Per serving:481 calories, 19 g fat (2 g saturated), 0 cholesterol, 66 g carbohydrate, 160 mg sodium.