- 1 large bunch broccoli, tough stem ends removed
- 1/2 cup Georgia pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Vidalia or other sweet onion cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper matchsticks (thin strips cut the length of matchsticks)
- 1/4 cup raisins
Separate broccoli into florets. Slice tender stalks into thin crosswise coins. Bring a 2-quart saucepan half full of lightly salted water to a boil. Toss in florets and coins and blanch for 30 seconds, then drain quickly and immerse broccoli in a bowl of ice water. Drain again and chill.
Meanwhile, spread pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes while you prepare rest of salad.
For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together sugar and vinegar. Stir in soy sauce, garlic and pepper. Whisk in oil and mayonnaise until smooth. Set aside.
In a glass serving bowl, combine reserved broccoli, onion slices, pepper matchsticks and raisins. Remove pecans from oven and break in half lengthwise. Just before serving, pour dressing over broccoli mixture and toss to coat ingredients well. Scatter toasted pecans on top.