- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 baking apple (about 8-oz.), peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 cup currants or golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped Georgia pecans
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Move the rack to the center position. Use a twelve muffin tin with large, 1/2 cup paper liners. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and spices in a large bowl. Mix apple juice or cider, vegetable oil, maple syrup, egg and vanilla extract in medium bowl to blend. Mix with dry ingredients, just until combined. Fold in apple, currants or golden raisins and chopped pecans.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin and bake until muffins are brown, about 28 minutes. Muffins are done when tester is inserted into center and comes out clean. Cool on rack.